Monday, September 12, 2011

Driving Through The Woods

Beautiful weather today once the morning blah burned off. I couldn't resist taking my new car into Moose River Recreation Area. It's been so long since I've had a car that can go in there without my being on edge the whole time. So long in fact that the D.E.C. has since closed my favorite road in the area, toward Muskrat Pond and Squaw Lake, one of the most beautiful remote trails in the Adirondacks. It still makes me sad.

Today was all about checking out what's changed, stopping along the way to walk down to the various streams, clear my head. It didn't take long for me to be reminded why I love northern forest so much. Nothing smells like the north woods.

This being a weekday, the Otter Brook campsite was unoccupied. A great place for me to plop down my camp chair and finish a book. Sure wish I would have brought my tent...