Monday, March 7, 2011

Rites of Spring

Things are starting to look different to me. Yeah, it snowed yesterday, but things just looked different. Sun angle, I guess. Regardless, this time of year certain things take place that make Spring start to seem inevitable. When I start to get that feeling, there are things I do as well, so I can play along. Once I see the March sun, I start thinking camping. Hard to believe, but only six weeks 'til my start of the season camping trip to Allegheny National Forest! To get in the mood, a trip to Gander Mountain is required. Just a half-hour or so walking around looking at stuff, thinking about campfires and fishing and stars and hikes and on and on. (Yeah, I think about photographing, as well) I don't really need much in the way of camping gear anymore, but looking at the stuff gets me fired up to get outdoors. It won't be long now...

Another sure sign of spring is the annual Orchid Mania at Cleveland Botanical Garden. Again this year I'm lucky enough to be taking part, by leading a macro workshop at the Garden. I'll be working with some new friends this Saturday and Sunday, showing tips and tricks to getting creative with flowers. I'm excited that we'll have some private time in the Glass House this year, before the Garden opens to the public.

Camping gear shopping and Orchid Mania: Two sure signs of Spring!