Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Friend, Nancy


I remember the first time I met Nancy Rotenberg. I was attending a photo workshop put on by Adirondack Life magazine in the mid-90's. Nancy was one of the leaders. I remember thinking: "This woman is like a magnet!". She was just so full of life that she was impossible to ignore. Not only that but she was doing beautiful work. We became friends that weekend.

Our friendship lasted many years, and became the foundation for the Adirondack Photography Institute. Working with Nancy was always the highlight of my year. The two of us, along with Nancy's good friend and assistant Linda Torbert, laughed and worked and laughed some more. These were the most wonderful moments of my life. If I was fated to be stuck in a time-warp, I would choose to spend it just the three of us, forever laughing our way across the Adirondacks, dragging sleep-deprived workshop participants in tow.

The news that I have been dreading for some time came this morning. My friend Nancy is gone.

I could write about her forever, but I should leave her spirit to the silence. I love you Nancy and I will never forget.